Creating a blog is a great way to share your creativity and ideas with the rest of the world. However, just getting started can be a chore.
What do you write about? Which topic should you use? Will anyone even be interested in reading your articles?
I will answer these questions and more in this article on how to pick a topic for your blog.
Before I get into the details, here is a summarized list of the best ways to pick your blog topic?
- Brainstorm ideas that you are passionate about and love.
- Base your topic on a hobby you have.
- Use Pinterest and see which topics you care most about and try to learn more about them.
- If you are an expert on a topic because you work in that particular field, use that.
- Teach something you know more about than other people might.
- Search your YouTube history and find the video topics you were most interested in.
- Use yourself as a topic, such as creating a Mommy or travel blog.
- Search your web browsing history for any questions you had and which topic they belonged to. Use these as your topic.
- How To Pick A Topic For Your Blog – Choose Wisely
- What Are The Most Popular Blog Topics?
- Why You Need To Niche Down
- The Difference Between A Topic and A Niche
- What Is The Most Profitable Blog Niche?
- If You Are Struggling To Find A blog Topic
- Making Youtube Videos Instead Of A Writing Articles
- How To Pick A Topic For Your Blog – Conclusion
How To Pick A Topic For Your Blog – Choose Wisely
As you can see, choosing the right topic for your website is the most important first step when creating your blog.
You can screw up choosing the wrong WordPress theme.
You can even have some bad grammar in your articles.
These issues can all be fixed at a later time. However, choosing the wrong blog topic can be detrimental to your website.
Which, in turn, will result in little to no traffic and abysmal or even zero sales. Just make sure of two things…
- You choose a topic that you like creating content around. After all, it’s going to take you months and months to see any real progress. And the more quality content you put out there the better.
- You choose a topic that is easily monetized. You can sell digital and physical products, sell ads on your website, and even sell services as well.
What Are The Most Popular Blog Topics?
- Dating / Relationships
- Personal Development / Self-Improvement
- Teaching / Learning
Why You Need To Niche Down
Notice that these are topics, not niches.
If you created an article about heath and used “health” as your keyword, you would get destroyed by the competition.
This is why it’s so important to niche down.
You start with your main topic and then go step by step down into less competitive phrases, questions, and keywords to fund your niche.
This niche should be large enough to get monthly search traffic, but not so competitive that you would have to wait 10 years to get ranked high in Google.
The Difference Between A Topic and A Niche
As I hinted at earlier, the Topic is where you start. This will be a broad, all-encompassing keyword. Take, for instance, the topic of Health.
A niche, on the other hand, is a sub-topic that relates to the main topic. For example, health would be the topic, and ab workouts would be the niche.
I have broken down this example into 10 sub-niches you can target under the main topic of health.
I also created a simple image to help you visualize how these niches rank.
I used a color scale to represent the difficulty of competing and eventually ranking for these niche keywords.
Red represents an incredibly competitive topic.
Yellow represents niches that have medium competition. Green is relatively easy to compete with niches if you create killer content.
Every color in between is a gradual scale.
However, keep in mind, that most of the niches and keywords within the health topic will still be highly competitive.
This is especially true when compared to other topics.
So, here is the visualization chart for the health topic and the sub-niches contained within it.
Be aware, you should always do your keyword research before creating content.
This image is for visualization purposes only.
Health would be the main topic and placed at the top of the list.
Underneath, would be the first level of niching down, with the niche of nutrition.
Then followed by healthy eating, healthy living, and ab workouts for women.
Next, we have, how to lose weight quickly, vegan diet recipes, sports training, keto diet recipes for vegetarians, and losing weight while pregnant.
As you can see, if you niche down into less-trafficked niches, that are also popular, then there is a good chance you will succeed with your blog.
However, you must create amazing content. Be that written or video content, just make sure you make the best articles or videos you can.
Simply help people with their questions and issues, this will ensure the highest probability of receiving high-quality traffic to your website.
What Is The Most Profitable Blog Niche?
There are many incredibly profitable niches you can choose from.
These niches will fall under one or more topics. And as I said earlier, these topics will be competitive.
More often than not, the more popular the niche, the more money can be made.
Although, this is a double-edged sword. With great financial rewards comes great competition.
And to beat that competition, you have to make content that stands out from the crowd.
So, with that said, here are the most profitable niches you can take a hold of.
Health – Topic / Market
- Ab workouts for women – Niche
- Healthy eating – Niche
- Vegan diet recipes – Niche
- The Ketogenic diet – Niche
Wealth – Topic / Market
- Making money online – Niche
- Real estate investing – Niche
- Investing in the stock market – Niche
- Affiliate marketing – Niche
Relationships – Topic / Market
- Getting your girlfriend or boyfriend back – Niche
- Picking Up Girls (Pick Up Artist) – Niche
- Saving a relationship – Niche
- Divorce Counseling – Niche
Travel – Topic / Market
- Traveling with Pets – Niche
- Honeymoon vacations – Niche
- Spiritual vacation – Niche
- Food tourism – Niche
Personal Development – Topic / Market
- Panic attack cures – Niche
- Stuttering fixes – Niche
- Build social confidence – Niche
- Time management techniques – Niche
If You Are Struggling To Find A blog Topic
If you feel that you’ve tried to come up with a thousand blog topics but just can’t seem to decide on one, then your issue may not be about finding a blog topic to write about.
Maybe you just don’t like writing and are subconsciously finding excuses to not have to write about a topic you otherwise would enjoy.
Perhaps the solution is to choose another medium to express your talents, hobbies, and passions. Maybe you need to try video.
You might want to give YouTube a try. YouTube is the largest video platform in the world and the 2nd largest search engine behind Google.
Which is owned by Google. That’s right, Google owns Youtube.
This means that Google will boost Youtube videos in the Google search, which is a definite plus for video creators on the youtube platform.
Making Youtube Videos Instead Of A Writing Articles
If you feel more comfortable making YouTube videos, then I would highly recommend getting started.
YouTube is a gold mine for anyone thinking about doing online marketing. Here are a few excellent reasons to start a YouTube channel today.
- Making a 15-minute video is a lot easier than creating a 2,500-word article.
- You can easily link back to your website, affiliate link, product, or service.
- Video marketing costs little to nothing, only a camera, and a microphone are needed
- Your videos can rank on Google search for very competitive terms.
- Video marketing will only grow in the future, the younger generations will prefer to watch a video than read an article.
You might want to write down the topics, products, and hobbies you have an interest in. Then, turn on your camera and just say what’s on your mind.
Don’t worry about how you’ll look or sound. Just get started.
You may find, with a little practice and determination, you’ll be able to create a profitable business through video marketing that rivals even the most successful blogs.
What do you have to lose? Try it.
How To Pick A Topic For Your Blog – Conclusion
Do not skip the topic research phase of your blog.
You’ll regret it for sure. Rember to make sure to choose a topic that you can realistically create content around for years to come.
If you lose interest 2-months into your blog’s life and quit, then you’ve just wasted 2-months of your life.
You also need to make sure you can make money off of your blog. Even if it’s just ads, you will need to figure out how to make it work.
If you would like more information on starting a blog you can visit my article by clicking here.
This article will teach you how to set up your blog for maximum success.
With that, I will leave you to decide whether creating a blog is right for you.
Thanks for stopping by, I know your time is valuable.
Thank you again and have an amazing day.